Ok, so the Irish don’t call creme brûlée creme brûlée we call it burnt cream. I mean really people let’s call it what is! Bam…. Burnt Cream!
My cousin Lindsey and I have been trying to make more time for each other and that includes brunch on the occasional Thursday while the kids are at school and well of course mimosas! Tough life, right?!?!
I whipped up these delicious burnt creams for our brunch recently and they were amazing. Besides cooking time they are quick and easy to make.
Check out my video tutorial and subscribe to my youtube channel!
The only thing that I want to note about them is that they need to be served as soon as you burn the cream. If they sit too long with the banana mix on top after being burnt the crispy topping which is the best part gets wet and soggy…….no good my friends, no good………
Here’s the recipe!
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- Extra Sugar for Topping
- 2 Bananas
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1. Seed Vanilla Bean
- 2. Add Half and Half to small sauce pan and add vanilla bean seeds
- 3. Simmer on med heat DO NOT BOIL
- 4. Separate egg yolks
- 5. Add 1/3 cup of sugar to egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy
- 6. Slowly temper the hot cream into the egg mixture and whisk until all the cream is added
- 7. Fill Burnt Cream dishes and place in a 13 x 9 in pan. Fill 13 x 9 in pan with boiling water almost to the top of the dishes
- 8. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes until the edges are set and the middle is slightly jiggly
- 9. Slice bananas
- 10. Toss bananas with 1 tbsp cinnamon and 1 tbsp sugar
- 11. Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan on high heat and add the bananas
- 12. Cook until the bananas are coated with a crispy cinnamon sugar layer
- 13. After the Cream is set add bananas to top and sprinkle with sugar. Be generous with the sugar and cover the tops
- 14. With a torch heat the sugar until it melts and turns a light brown
- 15. Serve immediately and enjoy
Please share your pics of Burnt Cream with me on Instagram with #burntcreamvthw